robotics-university.com | Hello my friends, on this article, I will give an overview about one STM32 microcontroller minimum systems/development kit/evaluation board that has been available on the market. The product I mean is “STM32 Blue Board” or popular called with “STM32F103 Blue Pill board.” Please see figure 1 to know the visualization.
Figure 1. STM32F103 Blue Pill board
STM32F103 Blue Pill board is the cheapest and quickest way to discover STM32F103 (ARM Cortex-M3) Value line microcontrollers. It includes everything required for beginners and experienced users to get started quickly. The STM32F103 Blue Pill board includes an STM32F103 Value line microcontroller in a 48-pin LQFP.
1. STM32F103 Blue Pill Board Specification
Part : STM32F103C8T6
Manufacturer : ST-Microelectronics
Core : ARM Cortex-M3
Max. Clock Speed : 72 MHz
Package : LQFP 48 pins
B. Internal memories
FLASH : 64 Kb
SRAM : 20 Kb
High Speed Internal (HIS) : 8 MHz
Low Speed Internal (LSI) : 40 kHz
High Speed External (HSE) : 8 MHz
Low Speed External (LSE) : 32.768 kHz
Sources (1) : Any +3.3V pin (+3.3V)
Sources (2) : Any +5V pin (+5V)
Sources (3) : USB connector (+5V)
VDDA pin : No
VSSA pin : No
VREF- pin : No
VREF+ pin : No
Backup battery : None
Manufacturer : Shanghai TX Electronics Sci-Tech Co., Ltd
Part : TX6211B (DE=A1D)
Package : SOT23-5 5 pins
Input : +3.6V to +5.5V
Output : +3.3V @ 300mA
Datasheet : TX6211B.pdf
- The +5V pins on this board are directly connected to the +5V pin of the USB connector. There is no protection in place. Do not power this board through USB and an external power supply at the same time.
- This board may have a wrong value of resistor on the USB D+ pin. Instead of a 1.5 kΩ it has either a 10 kΩ or 4.7 kΩ resistor. This can be solved by replacing the resistor with the right value.
2. STM32F103 Blue Pill Board System Requirements
- Windows (7, 8, 10) Operating Systems
- Mini ST-Link Programmer Tool
- Female to female jumper cable (4 pcs)
3. STM32F103 Blue Pill Board Development Toolchain
4. STM32F103 Blue Pill Board - Pins Description (Pinout)
In order you can build an embedded systems application which can run properly use STM32F103 Blue Pill board, you have to know about its pin description. See figure 2 for the detail of STM32F103 Blue Pill board pins description.
Figure 2. STM32F103 Blue Pill board - Pins description (Pinout)
5. STM32F103 Blue Pill Board - Programming Lines Pins Description
STM32F103 Blue Pill board has been equipped with programming lines, in order the user can upload/download the embedded systems application program into the STM32F103 microcontroller chip that integrated on the STM32F103 Blue Pill board. Please see figure 3 below, to know the STM32F103 Blue Pill board programming line pins description.
Figure 3. STM32F103 Blue Pill board - Programming Line Pins description
From figure 3, we know that the STM32F103 Blue Pill board has 4-pins as the programming line, i.e. SWCLK, SWIO, 3V3 (3.3V), and GND pin.
6. STM32F103 Blue Pill Board - Programming Tools
To send (upload/download) an embedded systems application program into the STM32F103 microcontroller chip that integrated on the STM32F103 Blue Pill board, you can use one of the programming tools which has been available on the market, i.e. ST-Link/V2 programming tool from STMicroelectronics or mini ST-Link/V2 programming tool for alternative.
Figure 4. STM32F103 Blue Pill board connect to ST-LINK/V2 programming tool
Figure 5. STM32F103 Blue Pill board connect to Mini ST-LINK/V2 programming tool
Figure 4 and figure 5 shown the interfacing between ST-Link/V2 and mini ST-Link/V2 programming tool with STM32F103 Blue Pill board when you want to send (download/upload) your embedded systems application program into the STM32F103 microcontroller chip that integrated on the STM32F103 Blue Pill board.