robotics-university.com | In embedded systems world, if you want to prototype using microcontroller chip, one important thing that you must have it is microcontroller chip programmer/debugger. This tool has important function to support your prototyping work. Without programmer/debugger tool, you can not download your program into your microcontroller chip.
It is same when you will build an embedded system application using 8-bit or/and 32-bit microcontroller chip from STMicroelectronics (STM), you must have STM microcontroller chip programmer/debugger.
The Mini ST-LINK/V2 is an in-circuit debugger and programmer for the STM8 and STM32 microcontroller families (See figure 1). With the single wire interface module (SWIM) interface for STM8 microcontroller or JTAG/serial wire debugging (SWD) interfaces for STM32 microcontroller are used to communicate with the both microcontrollers located on an application board. Mini ST-Link/V2 is the substitute of the ST-Link/V2 from STMicroelectronics, but it has the same function with ST-Link/V2.
Figure 1. Mini ST-Link/V2 programming tool
1. Mini ST-Link/V2 Introduction
Mini ST-LINK/V2 programming tool is a small single board, an extreme low cost solution for in-circuit debugger/programmer for STM8 and STM32. The features of Mini ST-Link/V2 as shown below.
A. Onboard 500mA self-recovery fuse to avoid harming by short circuit
B. Dual voltage output (3.3V/5V), easy for debugging/programming
C. Standard USB interface for direct connection to PC
D. Debugging/Programing performance
- Debugging : run at full-speed, single-stepped, breakpoints, viewing variables and registers, etc.
- Programming : supports FLASH ROM, EEPROM, AFR, etc.
- USB2.0 combined with SWIM/SWD interfaces : quick response for debugging & fast speed for programming
E. Upgradable firmware
- The firmware is upgradable to support more devices in the future
- Automatically upgraded
F. Supported software
- ST-LINK Utility v2.0 (or higher ver.)
- STVD Version 4.2.1 (or higher ver.)
- STVP Version 3.2.3 (or higher ver.)
- IAR EWARM Revision v6.20 (or higher ver.)
- IAR EWSTM8 Revision v1.30 (or higher ver.)
- KEIL RVMDK Revision v4.21 (or higher ver.)
G. Supported devices
- All the STM8 devices with SWIM interface
- All the STM32 devices with SWD interface
2. Mini ST-Link/V2 - Pins Description
In order you can configure the function and the feature of STM8 and STM32 microcontroller using mini ST-Link/V2, you have to know about the pin description of this programming tool device. The mini ST-Link/V2 pins description as shown on the figure 2 below.
Figure 2. Mini ST-Link/V2 pins description
3. Mini ST-Link/V2 Connect to STM8 Application
For STM8 microcontroller developments the mini ST-LINK/V2 must be connected to the application using the standard 4-pins, i.e. SWIM, SWCLK, GND, and 3.3V pins (see Figure 3).
4. Mini ST-Link/V2 Connect to STM32 Application
For STM32 microcontroller developments the ST-LINK/V2 must be connected to the application using the standard 4-pin, i.e. SWDIO, SWCLK, GND, and 3.3V pins (see Figure 4).
Figure 4. Mini ST-Link/V2 connect to STM32 application
5. Mini ST-Link/V2 Support Software
A. STM32 ST-LINK utility (GUI for download program process), dowload here!
B. ST-Link/V2 Firmware, dowload here!
C. ST-LINK/V2 USB driver (for Windows7/8/10), dowload here!
6. Mini ST-LINK/V2 Supported Microcontroller Target
Table 1 below, show us the STM microcontroller chip (8-bit and 32-bit) that supported by mini ST-LINK/V2 programming tool.
Table 1. STM Microcontroller chip that supported by ST-LINK/V2