robotics-university.com | Hello my friends, on this article, I will give an overview about one STM32 microcontroller minimum systems/development kit/evaluation board which manufactured by ST Microelectronics (STM). The product I mean is STM32 Value Line Discovery development kit, please see figure 1 to know the visualization and figure 2 to know the top-view layout.
According to the data brief and user manual document of this minimum systems , the STM32 VL Discovery is the cheapest and quickest way to discover STM32F100 Value line microcontrollers. It includes everything required for beginners and experienced users to get started quickly. The STM32 VL Discovery discovery kit includes an STM32F100 Value line microcontroller in a 64-pin LQFP and an in-circuit ST-LINK debugger/programmer to debug discovery applications and other target board applications.
Figure 1. STM32 VL Discovery Kit
Figure 2. STM32 VL Discovery development kit - Top layout
STM32 VL Discovery Kit Key Features
- STM32F100RBT6B microcontroller, 128 KB Flash memory, 8 KB RAM in 64-pin LQFP
- On-board ST-LINK with selection mode switch to use the kit as a stand-alone ST-LINK (with SWD connector)
- Designed to be powered by USB or an external supply of 5 V or 3.3 V
- Can supply target application with 3 V and 5 V
- Two user LEDs (green and blue)
- One user push-button
- Extension header for all QFP64 I/Os for quick connection to prototyping board or easy probing
- Comprehensive free software including a variety of examples, part of STSW-STM32078 package
- Windows PC (XP, 7, 8)
- USB type A to mini-B cable
- IAR Embedded Workbench® for ARM®
- Keil® MDK-ARM™
- GCC-based IDE (ARM® Atollic® TrueSTUDIO®)
- CooCox CoIDE
STM32 VL Discovery Kit Getting Started
The STM32 VL Discovery is a low-cost and easy-to-use development kit to quickly evaluate and start a development with an STM32F100 Value line microcontroller. The ST-LINK programming and debugging tool is integrated on the STM32F100 Value line discovery kit. It is possible to use the STM32 VL Discovery as an ST-LINK simply by moving some jumpers. The power supply is provided by a USB connector or an external power supply. The 5V and 3V3 pins can be used independently as input or output power supplies. To get started immediately using a demonstration application:
- Connect the STM32F100 Value line discovery board to a PC through an USB cable to power the board.
- Press the user button B1 (on bottom left corner of the board).
- Observe how the green LED LD3 blinking changes according to user button B1 clicks.
- Each click on User button B1 is confirmed by the blue LED LD4.
To study or modify the Discover project related to this simple demo, visit www.st.com/stm32-discovery and download the getting started documentation and STSWSTM32078 (free software examples). This site also contains information on the STM32 features, demonstration software and examples from which you can develop your own applications.
Support Software for Embedded ST-Link/V2 on STM32 VL Discovery Kit
1. STM32 ST-LINK utility (GUI for download program process), dowload here!
2. ST-Link/V2 Firmware, dowload here!
3. ST-LINK/V2 USB driver (for Windows7/8/10), dowload here!